Erie

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W of Salmo, SW of Nelson, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°11'27''N, 117°20'09''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82F/3

Origin Notes and History:

Erie (Town) adopted 11 November 1932 on Geological Survey sheet 283A, Salmo. Form on name changed to Erie (Station) 5 March 1959 on 82F/SW, as identified on maps since 1898. Form of name changed to Erie (Locality) 15 May 1981.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Erie is identified as a station on BC Mines 1898 map, Southern portion of East & West Kootenay, and on Geological Survey map #791, Kootenay, 1900, and on BC Lands' map 1EM, 1915.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

Erie Post Office was opened 1 March 1898; closed 31 August 1948. Erie (station) identified in GNR timetables through 1968, but is not listed in subsequent BNR Timetables.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Erie Mining and Milling Company, previously active in the Slocan mining division, obtained c1897 various claims on "Mineral Mountain" (since re-named Keystone Mountain) just north of Salmo; their spur line down "Whisky Creek" (since re-named Hooch Creek) thence connecting to the Nelson & Fort Sheppard branch of GNR likely led to the designation "Erie" for the railway station & post office.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office